Oportunidades de Trabajo
DIRECTOR OF DEVELOPMENT AND COMMUNICATIONS
Reporting to the Executive Director (ED), the Director of Development and Communications is a key leadership team member at LALDEF and an active participant in strategic decisions affecting the Organization. The Director’s duties are focused on the organization’s Development and Communications functions.
The Director has primary responsibility for all LALDEF’s fundraising and development activities. S/he is consequently responsible for the following:
- Establishing and implementing the infrastructure needed for the solicitation of gifts, Federal/state/local government grants and contracts, and corporate and foundation support.
- Cultivating and stewarding major donors to develop and maintain relationships.
- Preparing and submitting, with the assistance of our Development Associate, all grant applications and contract proposals.
- Serving as a contact for foundations, companies, government funders, and private donors, and supporting the ED in his or her interactions with these funders and potential funders.
- Partnering with the ED in reporting to foundations, companies and government funders on the activities they support.
- Directing and mentoring LALDEF’s development staff.
- In consultation with the ED, overseeing research on funding sources and trends, and monitoring all donor information.
- With the consent of the ED, directing events and other activities that seek to raise funds and/or cultivate relationships with future funders.
- Supporting and working with the Board of Trustees to design and implement fundraising strategies.
The Director of Development also has primary responsibility for all LALDEF’s written and electronic communication with supporters of the organization, other stakeholders, targeted audiences, and with the general public. S/he is consequently responsible for the following:
- In collaboration with the ED, developing and implementing LALDEF’s communication strategy.
- Broadening awareness of LALDEF’s programs and priorities, and increasing the Organization’s visibility among key stakeholder audiences.
- Creating marketing and public relations strategies to cultivate relationships with targeted audiences, including the media and key influencers.
- In consultation with the ED, overseeing the preparation and execution of public announcements, and managing relationships with the media.
- Overseeing the preparation and production of LALDEF’s printed documents, such as impact reports, annual reports, program service reports, and various marketing materials, and the availability of such documents in electronic form.
- Collaborating with the ED in overseeing LALDEF’s website and electronic communications.
- Supporting and working with the Board of Trustees to design and implement communication strategies.
In addition, the Director of Development is expected to support the Executive Director in areas beyond Development and Communications, especially the following four:
- LALDEF’s software systems, notably including those used to collect and maintain data on program activities and clients. These systems specifically include Salesforce, and LALDEF’s Google Workspace. Under the ED’s direction, the Director will maintain and support these systems and facilitate their use by staff and the Board. S/he also has responsibility for the oversight of data specifically related to Development and Communication (e.g. data on donors, grants) as well as other types of data identified by the ED.
- LALDEF’s communication systems, such as internet, printing, email, social media, and texting. These systems specifically include the internet, email, printing, and LALDEF’s presence on the internet, such as its webpage and Facebook page. Under the ED’s direction, the Director will maintain and support these systems and facilitate their use by staff and the Board. S/he also will promote LALDEF’s visibility and influence through our use of the internet.
- LALDEF speeches, presentations, and supporting materials. The Director’s responsibility for the Communications function extends to speeches and presentations by the ED and other LALDEF staff, and s/he is expected to review speech texts, Powerpoint slides, and other pertinent materials, and offer suggestions and corrections, before they are used. S/he will take these and other steps to help ensure that the quality and consistency of the Organization’s speeches and presentations is high.
- Supervision of special projects and other areas where his or her expertise is needed. These special projects and short-term needs will develop over time. At present special projects specifically include community health work initiatives providing Covid-19 vaccines, testing, and information.
- Bachelor’s degree required, Master’s degree preferred.
- Minimum 5 years of work experience in the nonprofit sector OR Master’s degree with 3 years of work experience in the nonprofit sector.
- Demonstrated experience in nonprofit fundraising, including experience in identifying, obtaining, and administering grants; grant writing experience required.
- Demonstrated experience in civil/human rights advocacy and/or social services.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective collaborative relationships with others, to express ideas clearly and concisely in written and oral form, and develop a positive, congenial, professional organizational environment.
- Public speaking, media relations, and presentation skills.
- Identified leadership, interest, and passion for defending and promoting the civil rights of Latinos, particularly recent immigrants and their families, fostering immigrant integration, and advancing cross-cultural understanding.
Job Type: Full-time
Salary: $65,000 per year
- Health insurance
- Dental insurance
- Vision insurance
- Paid time off
To apply, please send resume and cover letter to email@example.com
LEGAL SERVICES COORDINATOR
The Latin American Legal Defense and Education Fund (LALDEF) – located in Trenton, NJ – seeks talented, focused, and diligent candidates for the role of Legal Services Coordinator. Working in tandem with our Supervising Attorney and reporting to the Legal Services Manager and Executive Director, this position offers the opportunity to collaborate with dedicated staff and volunteers to provide vital legal services to the immigrant community of Mercer County. Within a year, LALDEF would support the right candidate’s application for accreditation by the Board of Immigration Appeals (BIA).
Job responsibilities include:
- Supporting the Legal Services Manager and Supervising Attorney in compiling complete immigration applications including: Adjustment of Status, Naturalization, Work Permit Applications and Renewals, Applications for Temporary Protected Status, U Visa, and VAWA, FOIA’s, Changes of Venue and Address, Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals, and Family Petitions
- Conducting weekly Legal Screenings with potential clients
- Providing administrative support such as scheduling legal screenings with clients, answering daily inquiries from potential clients, and providing administrative support to the Legal Services Manager as needed
- Gathering and arranging supplemental evidence and legal documents for case preparation and review
- Preparing NJ Superior Court Family Division forms
- Drafting correspondence, legal documents/filings, affidavits, formal statements, and briefs
- Providing appropriate referrals for clients and their families
- Maintaining and organizing sensitive documents and timelines
- Assisting in preparation of of grant reports and reports to the Board of Trustees
- Other tasks as assigned
Qualifications: Candidates should be self-motivated and independent. Bachelor’s degree required. Must be experienced with communicating effectively and empathically with individuals from a variety of backgrounds. Must have working knowledge of Microsoft Office. Must be able to learn to use Docketwise (immigration case management software) in a timely manner. Applicants must be bilingual in English and Spanish.
In addition, the ideal candidate is an enthusiastic, organized individual with a commitment to social justice and an interest in grassroots advocacy. Preference will be given to candidates who have familiarity with immigration law/USCIS regulations.
This is a full-time position, some evening and Saturday hours may be required. Salary is competitive for similarly-sized organizations and is commensurate with experience.
Application Requirements: Please send resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org.
About Us: The Latin American Legal Defense and Education Fund, Inc.’s (LALDEF) mission is to promote the rights of all immigrants with a focus on the Latin American community in the Mercer County area, facilitate access to health care, education, and legal representation; advocate for the integration of immigrants; and foster intercultural communication to strengthen our communities.