ADULT EDUCATION PROGRAMS ASSISTANT
The Latin American Legal Defense and Education Fund (LALDEF) is a nonprofit that was founded in 2004 to serve the needs of the immigrant community in Mercer County. Our mission is to defend the rights of the Latin American community, facilitate its access to health care and education, and advance cross-cultural understanding within the Mercer County region.
LALDEF is seeking an Adult Education Programs Assistant. Reporting to and working closely with the Adult Education Programs Manager, the Adult Education Programs Assistant will teach an English as a Second Language class as well as supervise some students in our Community Work Experience Program (CWEP). In addition, the Adult Education Programs Assistant will perform administrative duties for the Adult Education Programs at LALDEF. Any activities related to program management for the English as a Second Language Program, High School Equivalency Program, Community Work Experience Program, or other Adult Education initiatives will require involvement and specific productive contributions from the Adult Education Programs Assistant. This individual will also work on the creation and maintenance of course materials such as attendance sheets and syllabi, lesson plans, progress checks, and grade reports. This is a full-time position of 40 hours per week, based in an office environment. Some evening work may be required. Salary is competitive for similarly-sized organizations and commensurate with experience.
- Instruct ESL (English as a Second Language) classes with emphasis on Reading, Writing, Listening, and Speaking skills in a real-world context
- Plan lessons, prepare progress reports, and submit grades for ESL classes
- Assist with Community Work Experience Program administration and coordination; prepare progress notes, track attendance, and write grant reports for this program
- Help prepare course materials such as attendance sheets, syllabi, student handbooks, extra teaching materials, copies/handouts, etc.
- Engage in client correspondence via email, text, and phone, as well as in-person
- Record and track data measuring student progress
- Other duties as assigned
Bachelor’s degree is required. Bilingual (Spanish and English) strongly preferred. Ideal candidates will have excellent writing, communication, organizational, and interpersonal skills. The successful candidate will be able to handle the responsibilities of a classroom and should be committed to delivering on educational goals. Candidates should be able to work independently but also utilize teamwork strategies when faced with difficult tasks. In addition, candidates should have a passion for education and be truly invested in student success and learning. Experience working at nonprofit organizations is desirable, as is prior teaching experience.
This position reports to the Adult Education Programs Manager.
Submit a resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org