FUTURO PROGRAM COORDINATOR
LALDEF is seeking a FUTURO Program Coordinator. The individual will lead our college preparatory youth mentoring program that works with first and second generation immigrant youths. Our students are juniors and seniors in High School that live in the City of Trenton/Municipality of Princeton. The program coordinator will coordinate tutoring, workshops, special events, and will serve as the main point of contact for each of the students. This position will also require direct and frequent interaction with the parents/guardians of the students to relay information and stimulate progress across academic and programmatic areas. This position is full-time (40 hours per week), based in an office environment, and evening work will be required. Remote work is possible, as the office environment is not integral to the success of this position. This position requires the individual to work effectively with emotionally difficult situations. The program coordinator must demonstrate the ability to think independently and critically, and apply good judgment.
- Responsible for meeting with the students two evenings per week for two hours
- Coordinate individual student check-ins, as needed.
- Help set goals and prepare for college success.
- Coordinate subject specific tutoring, SAT/ACT preparation, and college and scholarship applications.
- Collaborate with partner agencies to provide workshops for the students.
- Serve as a liaison with the student’s school counselors and the parents.
- Communicate with the students via phone, text, and email on a regular basis.
- Remain adept to youth issues; introduce sensitive materials and topics for education and awareness.
- Willingness to travel throughout Mercer County and occasionally out of state for college campus tours.
- Work closely with agency staff through phone contact, personal conferences, and group meetings.
- Prepare and upkeep quarterly written reports outlining program outcomes.
- Promote and foster a positive environment and provide tools for upward mobility.
- Work with the FUTURO staff to maintain consistency across cohorts.
Ideal candidates should be flexible, have a sense of humor, a willing spirit, the ability to multi-task with excellent communication, computer, interpersonal, organizational, and research skills. Candidates should think independently, but also utilize teamwork strategies when faced with difficult tasks. Accept and relate to youth who may not share the volunteer’s lifestyle and values. Respect the mentee’s right to self-determination and independence. Promote self-esteem and motivation. Good listening skills and patience will be required.
Positions reports to the Executive Director.
- Bachelor’s degree is required.
- Must submit a resume, cover letter, and three professional references to firstname.lastname@example.org
- Experience working at nonprofit organizations is desirable.
- Experience working in a mentoring program is desirable.
- Bilingual (Spanish and English) strongly preferred.