LEGAL SERVICES COORDINATOR
The Latin American Legal Defense and Education Fund (LALDEF) – located in Trenton, NJ – seeks talented, focused, and diligent candidates for the role of Legal Services Coordinator. Working in tandem with our Supervising Attorney and reporting to the Legal Services Manager and Executive Director, this position offers the opportunity to collaborate with dedicated staff and volunteers to provide vital legal services to the immigrant community of Mercer County. Within a year, LALDEF would support the right candidate’s application for accreditation by the Board of Immigration Appeals (BIA).
Job responsibilities include:
- Supporting the Legal Services Manager and Supervising Attorney in compiling complete immigration applications including: Adjustment of Status, Naturalization, Work Permit Applications and Renewals, Applications for Temporary Protected Status, U Visa, and VAWA, FOIA’s, Changes of Venue and Address, Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals, and Family Petitions
- Conducting weekly Legal Screenings with potential clients
- Providing administrative support such as scheduling legal screenings with clients, answering daily inquiries from potential clients, and providing administrative support to the Legal Services Manager as needed
- Gathering and arranging supplemental evidence and legal documents for case preparation and review
- Preparing NJ Superior Court Family Division forms
- Drafting correspondence, legal documents/filings, affidavits, formal statements, and briefs
- Providing appropriate referrals for clients and their families
- Maintaining and organizing sensitive documents and timelines
- Assisting in preparation of of grant reports and reports to the Board of Trustees
- Other tasks as assigned
Qualifications: Candidates should be self-motivated and independent. Bachelor’s degree required. Must be experienced with communicating effectively and empathically with individuals from a variety of backgrounds. Must have working knowledge of Microsoft Office. Must be able to learn to use Docketwise (immigration case management software) in a timely manner. Applicants must be bilingual in English and Spanish.
In addition, the ideal candidate is an enthusiastic, organized individual with a commitment to social justice and an interest in grassroots advocacy. Preference will be given to candidates who have familiarity with immigration law/USCIS regulations.
This is a full-time position, some evening and Saturday hours may be required. Salary is competitive for similarly-sized organizations and is commensurate with experience.
Application Requirements: Please send resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org.
About Us: The Latin American Legal Defense and Education Fund, Inc.’s (LALDEF) mission is to promote the rights of all immigrants with a focus on the Latin American community in the Mercer County area, facilitate access to health care, education, and legal representation; advocate for the integration of immigrants; and foster intercultural communication to strengthen our communities.